Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am using UBUNTU 10 and I've installed the new NVIDIA driver. I just installed the nvidia 256.53 driver and it appeared to compile successfully, following all instructions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NVIDIA kernel upgrade

Hi All,

I am using UBUNTU 10 and I've installed the new NVIDIA driver. I just installed the nvidia 256.53 driver and it appeared to compile successfully, following all instructions in nvidia driver installation thread. However, when I reboot the system X fails to start and I get a message saying that the

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel modules has version 195.36.24, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 256.53. please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same versions.
    (EE )sep 07 14:54:00 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialise the NVIDIA kernel module. please see the system's kernel log for additional error message and consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): ****ABORTING*******
    (EE) Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration.

Can anyone please help me about the same.

Thanks.

According to error message, there is a module/driver version mismatch. Which thread did you follow to install Nvidia Driver?
    Does Hardware Drivers option in Ubuntu detect/install Nvidia Driver?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    First, you need to remove the nvidia driver installed by the Ubuntu package manager when you installed the system. Then you need to boot into text mode and uninstall / reinstall the nvidia proprietary driver, which I think is what you said you are trying to do. There is an uninstall option in the nvidia installer shell script. Basically, you need to clean stuff up first, then reinstall the nvidia proprietary driver from scratch.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!