Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have fedora 12 installed on my desktop. I tried to compile kernel 2.6.35 on it, but it seems that my config file is not matching with my hardware. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] .config file problem

Hi,
    I have fedora 12 installed on my desktop. I tried to compile kernel 2.6.35 on it, but it seems that my config file is not matching with my hardware. I have AMD duel core processor, with nvidia motherboard. I am not sure about exact versions of hardware.
    I tried to use .config file of fedora12 distribution located in /usr/src/kernel/2.6.29____/.config, but compilation fails with this config file.
    Is there some way so that I can figure out which modules/drivers I should enable in .config file, so that kernel will be compiled successfully?
    (I have another machine with Via motherboard and pentium 4 processor and same problem appears there as well.)

Linux Guru
    If you Google for kernel compiling tutorials, you'll see that a common "trick" is to copy the config from your currently-running build to your new build.

Your current config is generally under /boot and the filename starts with "config."

* Keep in mind jumping *several* kernel versions ahead can be a problem, since your old config may not have all the options that the new kernel has.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Run the command make menuconfig or make xconfig in the kernel directory and tell it to save the file when you are done adding the modules you want to build into the kernel. That will create a new .config file for you with the proper stuff.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Run the command make menuconfig or make xconfig in the kernel directory and tell it to save the file when you are done adding the modules you want to build into the kernel. That will create a new .config file for you with the proper stuff.
    I did that, but it is using the default configuration. It does not include drivers for my hardware. I want some way to know which drivers I should enable.

As Rubberman said,your make xconfig. and after .config file created check for drivers you needed. Workaround would be if you know the parameter and values for driver - just append it to .config file it might work.

BTW , I have tried something like this here is notes - gET iT i sAY, giis - ext3 File Undelete Tool
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    I downloaded the kernel source code of my fedora installation and compiled the kernel successfully. I used config file from /boot as you specified. It is not working for any other kernel source, as you stated. Thanks again.