Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm having a problem that I need to sort out. Can anyone help? I currently run linux-2.6.9 which perfectly supports my nForce2 ethernet controller. But, I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling kernel 2.4.24 with forcedeth patch?

Hello all, I'm having a problem that I need to sort out. Can anyone help?

I currently run linux-2.6.9 which perfectly supports my nForce2 ethernet controller. But, I want to play with openMosix to squeeze some extra performance out of my system(s). openMosix is available for the 2.4.24 kernel, but also works with 2.4.26 (which comes pre-patched with the forcedeth). But, and this is a big but(t), every attempt I have made at building forcedeth into the kernel has failed over various 2.4.x kernel versions at the same time, during "make bzImage." The error returned is:

Code:
    forcedeth.c: in function `nvprobe':
    forcedeth.c:1366: warning: implicit declaration of function `SET_NETDEV_DEV'
    forcedeth.c:1366: error: structure has no member named `dev'
    make[3]: *** [forcedeth.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.24/drivers/net'
    make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.24/drivers/net'
    make[1]: *** [_subdir_net] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.24/drivers/net'
    make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error2
    Or go here to see a screen cap of my terminal with the error (which has a couple more lines above of the last gcc stage before hitting the error). I'm getting this error in both linux-2.4.23, linux-2.4.24 and linux-2.4.26. The only difference being is that 2.4.26 is pre-patched with forcedeth, but even that doesn't work :

As you can guess, I'm finding it very difficult to play with openMosix, because it doesn't yet exist for the 2.6.x series of kernels.

Any help would be extraordinarily, massively and humongously appreciated. Free lifetime friendship is also available to whoever helps me crack this :P

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Never mind everyone, I found out that forcedeth in pre 2.4.28 kernels is rubbish. Enabling forcedeth in 2.4.28 and running make bzImage goes without a hitch.

But everything has a price right? Well, the price is, openMosix wont patch 2.4.28 (yet). And aside from that, system performance in 2.6.x kernels is approximatly 3 times greater than 2.4.28 (for my system at least).

Sorry for bothering you all