Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am having a problem I hope you can help me to solve. I have a shell script that is run by root, that moves some stuff to another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ownership in symlinks

Hi, I am having a problem I hope you can help me to solve.

I have a shell script that is run by root, that moves some stuff to another location and leaves at the original place a symbolic link instead.

The problem is that the owner of the link is root, and I would like to have the original user as the owner of the link (so he can follow and access the original file)

Any ideas on how to do that? I looked at ln man pages, but found nothing about ownership

Thx

are you going to be running this script for just one user or for a wide array of users?
    cos if you are just going to be doing this for one user, then add this to the script:
    Code:
    chown username /path/to/symlink
    replacing username with the user, and either replace /path/to/symlink with the path to the link or with whatever variable you are using to hold the symlink's location

Just Joined!
    I will be running this scritp for all system users, so I don't know how to identify in a shell script the user.group in order to do the chown

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, I think that the script can get the owner.group info by issuing the following command:

ls -l filename | tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 3,4

What do you think? I am not sure if this is totally ok, ls -l filename list the file, tr squeezes all extra spaces between fields, and cut get fields 3 (owner) and 4 (group)