Hello,
I am a little new to linux and this is what I have done so far.

1. I compiled and installed a new kernel distro of linux - 2.6.36 on my virtual machine successfully and I am able to reboot my machine with my newly compiled kernel.

2. I also compiled glibc-2.11.2, but did not install it on the new kernel that I compiled earlier. I compiled and ran a simple hello.c program to verify that my program worked successfully using the newly build linker that I just compiled.

I am stuck here...
3. I want to install the newly compiled linker as the default linker on the same virtual machine. There is a soft link named ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 which points to the real linker file, named ld-2.11.1.so inside /lib. I want to copy the new linker file that I compiled from /elf directly over the real linker file, keeping the same name.
I tried to move the new linker file over the old linker file and my VM got corrupted. I received the error '/bin/bash: No such file or directory'.
I also tried to make the ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 soft link inside /lib to point to my new linker and ended up with the same result as above.

I also tried to change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to my linker.

Could someone tell me what I should do and point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,
Steve