Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well guys, I have reached the end of my "testing" stage of learning linux.. and I am currently backing up all my files on the dreaded windoze box. Now, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling and Installing the 2.6.9

Well guys, I have reached the end of my "testing" stage of learning linux.. and I am currently backing up all my files on the dreaded windoze box. Now, the only thing left, is kernel compiling and installing. I want to put on the 2.6.9 kernel on this system, and then, I know I will be capable of putting Linux on my main system. So, how do I do it? I already have the kernel source.. but I can't find any documentation, so of course, this is where I turn to you guys .

-justin

Just Joined!
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html
    Or shorter: make mrproper && make menuconfig && make && make modules_install

Linux User
    Well now, it seems easy but I guess you'll have do to several attempts at this. Configuring options tends to be messy... Don't get frustrated if you don't get everything working at the first time.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    I usually do a
    Code:
    make;make install;make modules;make modules_install;make bzImage;make bzlilo; echo ALL IS DONE!
    The echo part is just a simple way of telling me that it went through all stages. LOL

I had some problems on 2.6.9... sync out-of-ranges, emu10k1 stopped working(And yeah... I added that part), so I went back to 2.6.8.1 .

But my Shell Resolution sucks... it's at 640x480x256 ...with a big font(hate them) And I don't remember how to change it. Any ideas ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron
    I usually do a
    Code:
    make;make install;make modules;make modules_install;make bzImage;make bzlilo; echo ALL IS DONE!
    The echo part is just a simple way of telling me that it went through all stages. LOL

I had some problems on 2.6.9... sync out-of-ranges, emu10k1 stopped working(And yeah... I added that part), so I went back to 2.6.8.1 .

But my Shell Resolution sucks... it's at 640x480x256 ...with a big font(hate them) And I don't remember how to change it. Any ideas ?
    enable frame buffer support in the kernel compilation
    device drivers > graphic support
    section then edit grub or lilo.conf and change vga= to whatever you want

Linux User
    Look at http://bootsplash.org/ to have a patch that will embellish you console.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Linux Engineer
    The README file is the ONLY place to start. Readmes are there for a very good reason. It is in the directory where the source untarred to.