Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to write a little kernel module that takes care of a variation of the FAT file system. So far I have set up things accordingly: the fill_super ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

inode_operations create not called

Hi,

I'm trying to write a little kernel module that takes care of a variation of the FAT file system.

So far I have set up things accordingly: the fill_super function and a bunch of callback functions such as readdir and directory lookup and file read functions. All of these work ok. I can mount an image file and can look up the root dir and read files in it.
    However, when I try to make a new file in it, it seems like the create function in the inode_operations gets never called. It's the function that is supposed to take care of creating a new file. I acutally googled in search of someone with the same problem but all I got was stuff saying that the Linux kernel calls the create function in inode_operations when trying to create a new file.

Simply put the lookup function in inode_opeations gets called OK but the create function has been ignored. So I have no idea what's happening.
    Anyone with experience with implementing your own file system, could you help me?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Without code, not much we can do...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just some random thoughts, how are you creating the new file? Is that using "creat" or "open" sys.call to create a new file.?

As Rubberman,without code we can guess few things - but not exact answer.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org