Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all!! the other day i installed cent0S 5.2 in my server and it had kernel v.2.6.18. in this kernel version everything works but this version today is out dated ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cdrom driver disabled

hi all!!
    the other day i installed cent0S 5.2 in my server and it had kernel v.2.6.18. in this kernel version everything works but this version today is out dated so i downloaded v2.6.30.1 is the version that my company uses. so i installed the minimum paquets needed to work my server. i was surprised when i wanted to mount the centOS 5.2 cd in my server to install some paquets that i needed because all the instructions related to the cdrom drive don't work. i have messed with the kernel options but i don't manage to see where is the problem if i haven't selected some importat paquet or module or whatever else.
    i will be grateful if you could help me to solve this problem.
    thx!!

You probably need to give more detail about what commands you're giving and what happens.

But the current kernel version for Centos _5.5_ from the centosplus repository is 2.6.18-194.32.1, so I'm curious where you got a 2.6.30 kernel and how you installed it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Working with a 2.6.30 kernel in CentOS / RHEL 5.x may be ok, but the kernel configuration, build, and installation are critical steps. In any case, don't go past 2.6.30 or 2.6.32. At that point, a LOT of internal kernel API's changed and you will need an entirely new software stack, libraries, etc. At that point, you would update to version 6, which is at the 2.6.32-71.18.2 kernel build. At least you should be able to boot from the older kernel, if you haven't munged your grub configuration too severely...

So, my recommendation would be to go back to the kernel source directory where you configure, build, and install it. Run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig", and carefully reconfigure your kernel. You can reset it to the default configuration, and start from there, which might be advisable. Not seeing what you have done, I am about at the end of my advice. You could post your kernel .config file here, and I can take a look at it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

rsantafe, that help offer is coming from one of the most experienced Linux guys on this forum, and you should jump on it.

Rub, I don't generally build kernels myself, but I'm aware that getting 2.6.30 working on RHEL5 can encounter some mkinitrd and init script bugs that have to be hacked through. Just a heads up.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhairweenie View Post
    rsantafe, that help offer is coming from one of the most experienced Linux guys on this forum, and you should jump on it.

Rub, I don't generally build kernels myself, but I'm aware that getting 2.6.30 working on RHEL5 can encounter some mkinitrd and init script bugs that have to be hacked through. Just a heads up.
    Not surprised. I had to futz with some kernel source files when building my custom 2.6.32 kernel on SL6 recently. I keep telling myself that I need to report the bugs to the SL development team, and getting side-tracked! Today is my wife's and my 37th anniversary, and tomorrow I get to spend the afternoon at a mandolin workshop with David "The Dawg" Grisman! Too much to do, too much fun to have, and too little time!

You're sh***ing me! David "Old and In the Way" Grisman? You're the lucky dawg!

Congratulations on the anniversary. She must be a very special girl to have lasted that long with you.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhairweenie View Post
    You're sh***ing me! David "Old and In the Way" Grisman? You're the lucky dawg!

Congratulations on the anniversary. She must be a very special girl to have lasted that long with you.
    Tolerant comes to mind... I'm the lucky one. She asked me to marry her! Her avocation is old-time traditional music, and she knows, and is known by, just about all the best performers in the business. A bit off-topic, but we give house concerts, and in the past 3 years we have had the likes of Andy Statman w/ members of Special Consensus (top-drawer Chicago bluegrass), Ken Perlman and Alan Jabbour (banjo and fiddle masters), Sparky and Rhonda Rucker, and others of similar quality, playing for our friends in our house... Grisman and Statman did an album together a few years ago that would knock your socks off!

Just Joined!
    i solved the problem as you said it was a kernel configuration problem. i made a "make menuconfig" and in one of the options shown up i enabled "support for SATA", "SCSI CD ROM Support" and "ISO 9660 CDROM". once i did that and rebooted the server it is working all fine now.
    thanks for all of you to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by rsantafe View Post
    i solved the problem as you said it was a kernel configuration problem. i made a "make menuconfig" and in one of the options shown up i enabled "support for SATA", "SCSI CD ROM Support" and "ISO 9660 CDROM". once i did that and rebooted the server it is working all fine now.
    thanks for all of you to help me.
    Glad to help, and I hope all the chatter about musicians and such didn't put you off too much!