Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have been offered a project to develop a device driver for a TV Tuner card on Linux. Kindly, help me out by giving me a kick start. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Device driver for TV Tuner Card on Linux

Hi guys,
    I have been offered a project to develop a device driver for a TV Tuner card on Linux. Kindly, help me out by giving me a kick start. Which manufacturer offers information on firmware etc. so that I can start developing the driver for it.

Thanks,
    Vikas

Silicondust offers Linux driver source code for the HDHomerun network-based tuner. The code is very well commented.

Linux Welcome to SiliconDust

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot Greyhairweenie,

I just wanted to know if you know any other TV Tuner card for which there is no Device Driver on Linux but can get enough proprietary information and firmware so that I can develop a driver for it. This is because I have been asked to develop a driver right from scratch.

Thanks,
    Vikas

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume you haven't done any Linux device driver programming in the past? What about drivers for other operating systems? Getting the source code for other drivers and studying that can be very helpful. There are some free e-books for Linux device driver programming available online. Here is a link for one of them:

http://www.davehylands.com/Misc/Linu...rd-Edition.pdf
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

G'Day; If you can develope a driver for Leadtek Winfast Palmtop tuners I'd sure like to know about it, I use two on my Windows boot and they are the best I've used ever but Leadtek don't do Linux drivers (damn).
    Kind Regards Miykel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are a whole raft of tuners currently supported on standard Linux systems - too many to name here. Unfortunately, nothing about Leadtek devices appears. Do you know who the chip set manufacturer happens to be? Also, are they PCI bus cards, or USB devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    There are a whole raft of tuners currently supported on standard Linux systems - too many to name here. Unfortunately, nothing about Leadtek devices appears. Do you know who the chip set manufacturer happens to be? Also, are they PCI bus cards, or USB devices?
    It's an analog USB tuner based on a Conexant AV decoder. Documented as not supported at linuxtv.org. It's not supported very well in Windows apps either (MCE and BeyondTV, anyway--I use both). Probably a waste of time to write a driver for an analog tuner at this stage of the game.

There is quite a bit of support in current kernels (2.6.32 and later) for a number of Conexant video capture and tv devices devices, including USB cards such as the cx231xx USB ones. Don't know if that is relevant for you or not. There is also a module titled "Conexant USB2.0 hybrid reference design support" for USB DVB devices.

G'Day Guys; The Palmtop tuners are hybrid , digital/analogue and run percetly in W7 32 & 64 bit, I've had them since W7RC and they have not missed a beet, I use windows media centre to watch and record TV.
    They are a USB tuner but I also have two Winfast pci cards which I think are supported by Linux, which I'm going to put back in the PC today, at the moment my bigest hassel is trying to find out how to install the -c, -s, -rZap channellists into Klear, I've tried all over the place but recieved no help (??),
    I used "get" and the the url where the file are and that seems to have downloaded the files but I have no idea how to configure them, any help on this would be very much appreciated,
    Kind Regards Miykel