Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I got a problem with my kernel. The initramfs source is busybox, python and gcc from ubuntu. The busybox have i compiled it self. Python and gcc is from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknow-block(8,1)

Hello. I got a problem with my kernel. The initramfs source is busybox, python and gcc from ubuntu. The busybox have i compiled it self. Python and gcc is from /usr/bin.

I gonna install my kernel on a i586 machine. Old yes. On the xTerm (termial) it stand "root device 8,1).

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknow-block(0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partions:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.38.3 #1
    Call trace:

--------------------
    This is my syslinux.cfg

default menu.c32
    prompt 0
    menu title BOOTLOADER
    timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
    menu label START
    kernel bzImage
    append root=/dev/sda1
    Do you know what the problem is?
    Last edited by Persson121; 04-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Exclamation

I'm not sure about this ..may be try adding "root" at the same line where kernel is mentioned.

something like -
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64 root=/dev/sda1
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    I have the same problem then I'm add root=/dev/ram0 option to my kernel and add /dev/ram0 to my initrd.
    Generally, kernel is build with devault root device same as your machine boot device