Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody answer my question posted at ubuntuforums org? it's under 'Ubuntu Dev Link Forum' with the same title as this post has. Thanks in advance! br, Jozef Explanation: I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DocBook makefile deleted external HDD! problem or trap?

Can anybody answer my question posted at ubuntuforums org? it's under 'Ubuntu Dev Link Forum' with the same title as this post has.

Thanks in advance!
    br,
    Jozef

Explanation: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to post my problem here. This forum allows to enter posts with URLs in the message body only after 15 active users posts. I don't want to enter 15 senseless posts here just to reach that 'level' to be allowed to enter my real problem(and it's contains some file system pathes handled by this system as URLs.).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can slightly mangle the URL so we can read it and easily convert it for access, as in: www dot somewhere dot com/pagename
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Here it is: ubuntuforums org/showthread.php?t=1750123

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You were building the docbooks, or the kernel? Sounds like you were building the documentation. That should have not had anything to do with your external drive. Have you tried removing/re-connecting it? What about manually mounting it? What is the output of "sudo fdisk -l"?

Just Joined!
    Yes, I was building the documentation by 'make htmldocs' and this process performs also 'rm media'. The problem is that Ubuntu uses 'media' folder as mount point of external HHDs/storages. So, it deleted all data on my external HDD which was connected at that time(of documentation building).
    It's easy to reproduce under Ubuntu when you follow steps as described in that post. But be carefull of not having connected external HDD!

If it executed the command "rm media" then it could not do what you say. First, you would have had to build this in the root / directory, logged in as root. Also, since the command (if it is exactly as you say) does not have the -r (recursive) option, it would fail to remove /media with an error diagnostic (permission denied most likely). So, please tell use EXACTLY what command was executed, whether or not you were building as root, and where in the file system you were building from. My other questions are still relevant. As I said, without the recursive option to the rm command, what you say happened, could not have.

Just Joined!
    There is -r option for rm, as described at ubuntuforum org. The exact description is there, please use that description.
    I didn't do that in the root directory. Why shall I do so? I want to build it exactly somewhere. Anyway, I don't believe it would stop from 'rm -r media'....
    What I wanna tell here is that there is such dangerous trap for everybody. And I don't know why it is there.

And why did you build as root? Also, the directory tree was ../.., so if you were in the correct place to build, it should have only removed the media cruft from the build directory. Again I ask, did you build as root? Also, what was the full path to the build directory?

Just Joined!
    I don't remember, but I think I din't biuld it as root. And I also think root is not necessary for that. The full path could be anything like jozef download kernel.
    I just wanted to generate the documentation. Nothing else.

Just Joined!
    You can look at: pastebin.com h7CSrXqa
    There is result of silent make.