Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since 2.6.38, my system freezes just before it shuts down/reboots, right on the console screen (after leaving X) where the message "rebooting" should be displayed. 2.6.37 worked fine. I hope ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Won't shudtown/reboot

Since 2.6.38, my system freezes just before it shuts down/reboots, right on the console screen (after leaving X) where the message "rebooting" should be displayed.

2.6.37 worked fine. I hope 2.6.29 would fix it, but it didn't.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    2.6.37 worked fine.
    Sometimes, kernels are released with certain bugs that later get patched, or they get fixed in later kernel releases. Can't you revert to the kernel version that worked fine (2.6.37) while you wait for an updated kernel that works properly?
    oz

Just Joined!
    This bug has not been fixed throughout all 38 releases and now is still there in 39.

However, I found a walkaround here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113985

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'd recommend you check your /etc/init.d files to see if the K* files are causing your reboot or shutdown to hang. I'm not sure what the default runlevel is on ubuntu (they seem to do everything different than everyone else, I think it might be 2), but to find it, try this:
    Code:
    [brian@bmicek ~]$ runlevel
    N 5
    Then, assuming its 5 (its probably 2), investigate these files:
    Code:
    [brian@bmicek ~]$ ls -l /etc/rc5.d/K*
    If any of those scripts hangs, your shutdown will hang. Some things; for instance virtual machines, may require a long time to shut down so they can clean up. You can run them by hand and then run the associated S* counterpart to restart what you stopped.

Since 2.6.38, my system freezes just before it shuts down/reboots, right on the console screen (after leaving X) where the message "rebooting" should be displayed.

2.6.37 worked fine. I hope 2.6.29 would fix it, but it didn't.
    This bug has not been fixed throughout all 38 releases and now is still there in 39.
    The problem started at 2.6.38, you hoped 2.6.29 would fix it, and it's been present in all 38 2.6 releases and is still there in 2.6.39? Except for 2.6.37, which was fine? At least one of us is confused.
    Last edited by Mudgen; 06-26-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: add

Just Joined!
    You really don't see the obvious typo? It supposed to be 2.6.39.

Was not obvious to me. You say the problem has been in all the 2.6 releases, which would include .29, but also state it started at .38. So it's still confusing even if you substitute .39 where you say .29.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhairweenie View Post
    You say the problem has been in all the 2.6 releases
    Where did I say this?

Invalid inference on my part about what you meant by "all 38 releases". I guess you meant "all 2.6.38" releases.

I'm done here.