Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have been trying to install a driver using “linux dd” boot option but facing some issues. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Following are my queries; I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help in creating a sample driver diskette

Hi,
    I have been trying to install a driver using “linux dd” boot option but facing some issues. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Following are my queries; I am newbie in this area so please forgive if I have asked any silly thing
    1. Is it possible to write a small hello-world program, compile it to kernel module (.ko) and create a driver disk from it?
    2. How to create modules.cgz file using the .ko file and what should be the contents of modules.cgz file?
    3. Which files are mandatory for creating a driver disk and what is the procedure to generate them?
    4. Almost all the tutorials that I have found says about saving the required files to a floppy disk, but my machine does not have a floppy disk. Can I save the files to USB/CD?
    5. How to check that your driver is installed successfully?
    Any pointer to the detail guide for creating drivers and saving it to diskette will be of great help.

Trusted Penguin
    What you are trying to do is certainly possible. But what Linux distro/version are you trying to install?

If your machine does not have a floppy drive, then, at least with some versions of the anaconda installer, it will look at the hard drive as well as a source (sda1, sd2, etc.).

There is also, as of Fedora 13 it seems, the ability to specify USB storage as a valid source of driver disks.

There is also the option of modifying the boot image used by the installer, which would require no additional sources for driver disks.