Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I apologise in advance if this is the wrong section to post in. I have two SuSE Linux vmware machines running. I am currently running a little script ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using vmstat on a vmware machine

Hi all,

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong section to post in.

I have two SuSE Linux vmware machines running. I am currently running a little script that collects vmstat output and puts it to a log file in order to do some diagnostics.

However, I am wanting to find out if vmstat will show me the system resources for the virtual machine or the physical machine on which the virtual machine is installed.

If the vmstat output is showing me the system resources for the virtual machine, is there a way I can collect the system usage data of the physical machine from running within the virtual machine?

Regards

Chris

1) It shows the data from the virtual machine.
    2) No direct way, afaik.
    Imho, you should treat host and VMs like independent machines and monitor them separately.

Maybe group them together in your monitoring tool, so that the host load and vm load can be seen in one view.
    Which may be tricky once you introduce live migration of VMs, but itīs a start
    Last edited by Irithori; 08-01-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Okay, thank you for confirming that for me...

I only ask because when I give the VM machines a specific workload, the vmstat output shows that the CPU is idling at 0% whereas on the native machines, the same workload doesn't overload the CPU. The vmstat output on the native machines shows me about 70% idle for the CPU.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    How much "CPU time" is the VM really getting? This is the point of virtualization - give the VM just enough resources to keep it running smoothly and then idle the rest of those resources or provide them to another VM. Different hypervisors work differently - their documentation and forums are a good place to start.

Just Joined!
    Okay, thanks. I will have a bit of a read around. Thanks for your help, has helped me understand something a little better.