Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted this question on qemu-forum but for some reason, the site no longer seems to load for me (on any computer or browser). I have installed qemu 0.14.1 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Qemu: Could not open gdbserver on device 'tcp::1234'

I posted this question on qemu-forum but for some reason, the site no longer seems to load for me (on any computer or browser).

I have installed qemu 0.14.1 on slackware to debug the linux-kernel. I am trying to connect with gdb to it through eclipse, but it just hangs. The commands I have tried are:

Code:
        qemu -s -S -hda /dev/zero -kernel /home/jesse/build/linux-2.6.39/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
        qemu-system-x86_64 -s -S -hda /dev/zero -kernel /home/jesse/build/linux-2.6.39/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
    without -S the first one hangs due to the kernel being x86-64, but the second one works fine. Eclipse still will not connect.

With -S, qemu pauses on startup (as expected), and if i press ctrl+alt+2, i can then enter commands. When I enter gdbserver, or gdbserver tcp::1234 i get the error "Could not open gdbserver on device 'tcp::1234'. I also haven't been able to find any qemu logs or anything. If anyone knows how I can view logs, let me know.

I'm not sure what issue is causing gdbserver to fail to start. I am running Slackware 13.1 with a 64bit kernel in VirtualBox.
    Last edited by jjorloff1; 08-28-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Added more detail to title

Just Joined!
    Hi

I believe the the command should be as follow on the target

Code:
    gdbserver localhost:2345 myapp
    Where my myapp is the application that you want to run. Also note the use of single ":" rather than double "::".

On the host machine you will issue the following command

Code:
    target remote <target ip address>:<port>
    Where target ip address is the IP address of the target running gdbserver and port number is same as the one supplied to the gdbserver command.

Hope that helps.