Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been spending many hours, over many days searching google/trying to fix this compile error I am getting when I am trying to compile linux 2.6.23. Background: I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling Linux 2.6.23 copy_user.S error (RTAI patching)

Hi,

I've been spending many hours, over many days searching google/trying to fix this compile error I am getting when I am trying to compile linux 2.6.23.

Background:
    I am trying to patch and setup a kernel with the RTAI. I found many walkthroughs on the subject but none of them mention the compile error I am getting.

Computer: Toshiba Satellite A665
    Processor: Quad Core AMD Phenom II P940 Quad-Core Processor
    Architecture: x86_64 (64 bit)
    RTAI version: tried 3.6.1 through 3.8.1 (newest)
    current linux kernel: 2.6.38-11-generic (Ubuntu r11.04 natty)
    linux kernel to build: linux-2.6.23** (downloaded from linus tarval's website since kernel.org was down) also tried linux 2.6.23-17 (same result)

**Note I am trying to compile linux 2.6.23 because this is the latest kernel support for x86_64 architectures.

Here the error reads

AS arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.o
    arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.S: Assembler messages:
    arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.S:353: Error: .size expression for copy_user_generic_c does not evaluate to a constant
    make[2]: *** [arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [arch/x86_64/lib] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.23'
    make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2
    Additionally I tried and successfully compiled and installed an x86 kernel (2.6.32) only to get a "kernel panic!" on startup. Although I followed multiple RTAI patch walkthroughs multple times on multiple x86 kernels.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    **Note I am trying to compile linux 2.6.23 because this is the latest kernel support for x86_64 architectures.
    Huh? All the latest kernels have x86_64 support. Natty will install an up-to-date x86_64 kernel just fine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!