Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wondering I have the linux source code linux version 3.0 I compiled and installed it on my x86 machine and it works fine but I am wondering if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel compiling to different arch?

I am wondering I have the linux source code linux version 3.0
    I compiled and installed it on my x86 machine and it works fine but I am wondering if I could compile to a different arch like x64 for my 64 bit machine or for my phone ARM , MIPS...etc

If so does anybody know the steps in doing this

is their some setting for compiling it to a different arch in the make menuconfig

Trusted Penguin
    Look at the ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE flags when running make on the kernel sources.

See here for more info.

Just Joined!
    ok, thats great it works!
    Curious though is their away to list all possible strings you can use with the ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE switchs?

I know arm works but their is also different versions and other archs that I am not sure what the string value could be for them.
    I.E Is their away to list the choices available for these switches ?
    As well as all the possible switches available with make.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    All possible switches for ARCH are the directory names that are in the <linux/arch/>, like x86, arm, powerpc, mips, alpha, parisc etc.. For CROSS_COMPILER there are no particular switches, You need to build or download a cross compiler tool chain for your target architecture and store them somewhere and give it's path.