Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all: How can I know whether the packets recieved from network by my own NIC driver are transmitted to upper layer(IP layer) or not? How can I know if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How does a NIC driver activate with upper layer mutually?

Hi, all:

How can I know whether the packets recieved from network by my own NIC driver are transmitted to upper layer(IP layer) or not?

How can I know if the packets come from upper layer are passed to my own NIC driver and go out further?

Is there any shell command or utility show that information?

The symptom of my running driver is as if the driver is seperated from the upper layer comletely! The "ping" or "scp" command cannot go through the driver and the received packets by the driver cannot pass to upper layer!

thanks!
    li, kunlun

Just Joined!
    Additionally, four calls to my rtl8139_start_xmit() happen whenever the interface up or the device is opened! No call to my rtl8139_start_xmit, however, happen when I issue "ping" or "scp" shell command.

Could anybody tell me why?

li, kunlun

Just Joined!
    My kernel is linux 3.0.4, and follwing is the information that may be helpful:

lspci |grep -i net

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    03:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

I suspect that my driver does not "melt" or "link" into the system as a whole although inserted into kernel. So it doesn't work correctly. How should I examine this by which command?

li, kunlun

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by liklstar View Post
    Hi, all:

How can I know whether the packets recieved from network by my own NIC driver are transmitted to upper layer(IP layer) or not?

How can I know if the packets come from upper layer are passed to my own NIC driver and go out further?

Is there any shell command or utility show that information?

The symptom of my running driver is as if the driver is seperated from the upper layer comletely! The "ping" or "scp" command cannot go through the driver and the received packets by the driver cannot pass to upper layer!

thanks!
    li, kunlun

I have written a rtl8139 device driver and now, I am debugging it. Help me please!

li,kunlun

Just Joined!
    Might be network interface not getting registered.
    What does "ifconfig -a" or "ip a" show?

# ifconfig -a

# ip a

?
    Last edited by saulius2; 11-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Just Joined!
    Dear all:

thanks! I have cleaned up the trouble!

Since I have stopped the device queue under wrong conditions my driver cannot send messages out. Now, my driver runs correctly!

thanks a lot!
    li, kunlun