Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to compile a gpio driver program. i am working in ubuntu. kernel version is 2.6.38-8 generic. i am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc compiler.Also i want to include this driver program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to compile a driver program in ubuntu?

I want to compile a gpio driver program. i am working in ubuntu. kernel version is 2.6.38-8 generic. i am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc compiler.Also i want to include this driver program in leopard board TMS320Dm355

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There is a lot of information, FAQ's, and How-To's on the web that show you what you need to have/do to build kernel modules. If you want it to be embedded in the kernel, you will need the full kernel source, otherwise you will need the kernel-headers and kernel-devel packages installed on your system. You might also want to see if the board manufacturer has linux documentation to build kernels for their board. I have an ARM9 board from Technologic Systems and they provide working kernels, drivers, tool chain (compiler, linker, debugger, etc) along with appropriate documentation to speed up your development process.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks

how can we crosscompile a driver program using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc..what modification should i do in the makefile??Target kernel is 2.6.10mvl401.Host kernel is 2.6.-38-8generic.
    makefile
    obj-m := gpdrv.o
    PWD := $(shell pwd)
    all:
    $(MAKE) -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules
    clean:
    rm -rf *.o *~ core .depend .*.cmd *.ko *.mod.c .tmp_versions Module.symvers