Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Including file in a makefile

hello,
    i want to include Af_unix.h(include/net/af_unix.h) file in my sche,h file of linux. but when I compile the kernel it gives me error Undefined reference to af_unix.h. Similar is the case when i include sys/types.h and unistd.h
    I have also included the proper directory i mean for unistd.h i write
    #include<linux/unistd.h>
    Also i have properly included all the other files.
    Can anyone please help me out why I am getting this error for all the files I am trying to include.
    may be I need to make changes in the Makefile of the kernel
    Please tell me out what are the required changes to be made.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is in your kernel source, right? If so, it should be like this (assuming 'include' refers to the default include directory):
    Code:
    #include <net/af_unix.h>
    If you need the ABSOLUTE path, then do this:
    Code:
    #include "/absolute-path-to-include/net/af_unix.h"
    Note the difference between angle brackets in the first example, and double-quotes in the second. While not always important, in some cases this can be critical, though I won't explain the differences at this point.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    This is in your kernel source, right? If so, it should be like this (assuming 'include' refers to the default include directory):
    Code:
    #include <net/af_unix.h>
    If you need the ABSOLUTE path, then do this:
    Code:
    #include "/absolute-path-to-include/net/af_unix.h"
    Note the difference between angle brackets in the first example, and double-quotes in the second. While not always important, in some cases this can be critical, though I won't explain the differences at this point.
    As you said i have included the socket.h file using its absolute path
    But socket.h include a file named features.h
    so when I compile my kernel module it gives me error : /usr/include/sys/socket.h: No such file or directory
    same error is given for all the files which are included in socket.h
    I think we should make changes in the makefile of the kernel module
    (I am writing my own kernel module)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. You need to add to the beginning of your CFLAGS make variable the flag "-I path-to-kernel-include-dir" where path-to-kernel-include-dir is usually something like "../../include" (assuming that the kernel include directory is 2 levels above your module build directory), otherwise it will likely be set to the default /usr/include path, which is where it would look to resolve those files. The error you quote about "/usr/include/sys/socket.h: No such file or directory" is the proof of that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!