Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to upgrade Linux on my laptop, currently running Ubuntu 10.04. I've tried clean installs of Ubuntu 11.04, and Linux Mint 12, from cover discs, but each time I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pointer sticking.

I'm trying to upgrade Linux on my laptop, currently running Ubuntu 10.04.

I've tried clean installs of Ubuntu 11.04, and Linux Mint 12, from cover discs, but each time I get the pointer sticking.
    This happens with the mouse and the touchpad.

I downloaded and burned pclinuxos (openbox and phoenix vesions) and didn't get the problem when trying them as Live CD's.

It seems as though the latest kernel versions don't support my ATI Radeon x1270 graphics chip.

Is this right, and what if any thing, can I do about it?

Just Joined!

Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by norm.h View Post
    I'm trying to upgrade Linux on my laptop, currently running Ubuntu 10.04.

I've tried clean installs of Ubuntu 11.04, and Linux Mint 12, from cover discs, but each time I get the pointer sticking.
    This happens with the mouse and the touchpad.

I downloaded and burned pclinuxos (openbox and phoenix vesions) and didn't get the problem when trying them as Live CD's.

It seems as though the latest kernel versions don't support my ATI Radeon x1270 graphics chip.

Is this right, and what if any thing, can I do about it?
    This happened, is happening on my HP xw9400 workstation using 2ea. 6 core AMD Opteron CPU's and 2 nVidia graphics cards. What a pain... The best way to go forward is to submit a bug report. I do not think you will get any response any other way for the next while?

I am going to have to go back to 10.10 until something happens to resolve this. I am not able to access the upgrade sat this point without looking through instructions on how to use keyboard only to see if any upgrade is available...

I will look anyway I guess. Too bad as I have no time to mess with this right now and while I really do not like windows it does work.