Find the answer to your Linux question:
My dedicated hosting provider has a "Netboot" option so people can boot to their own compiled Kernels. How do I do this? I am running Debian-Squeeze (6.0.1), if that's relevant ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to netboot to kernel?

My dedicated hosting provider has a "Netboot" option so people can boot to their own compiled Kernels. How do I do this? I am running Debian-Squeeze (6.0.1), if that's relevant at all.

Please don't hesitate to ask me for extra information, I'm not lazy or anything, I just wouldn't know where to begin. Not even sure if I need Netboot at all, maybe it's possible with just altering Grub?

I want to refrain from re-installing the OS, because that would mean moving 500GB here and back again.

If you just want to try your own kernels, be it different versions and/or features, then configuring/compiling/installing it and then modifying the grub config is enough.
    This page explains the main steps
    FAQ/KernelCompilation - Linux Kernel Newbies

For completeness sake, as this is probably not neccessary in your case:
    For a network boot you need at least these on the server side:
    - a configured dhcp server
    - a tftp server
    - pxelinux
    - kernel(s) and initial ramdisk(s)
    - e.g. nfs for a diskless setup

The client aka the machine you want to netboot, needs a network card with PXE.
    This should get you started
    Setting up a server for PXE network booting
    PXELINUX - Syslinux Wiki

Another point:
    If you partition your harddiscs, so that system and data are on different partitions, then a OS reinstall is relatively painless.
    Last edited by Irithori; 03-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    See the documentation for PXE boot. This may help you to understand the issue: Preboot Execution Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    If you just want to try your own kernels, be it different versions and/or features, then configuring/compiling/installing it and then modifying the grub config is enough.
    This page explains the main steps
    So essentially, all I do is "make config" the kernel, then make + make modules_install + make install and then point GRUB to the directory? Is it possible to just get a pre-configured version somewhere? One that has the default Debian-Sqeeze settings maybe?

Because answering all the "make config" questions will take me hours, and half the time I don't even know what I'm doing. And all I want is the default debian 6 kernel anyway (my dedi host uses a custom one by default).

Using a standard kernel does not involve compiling at all.
    I am not a debian user, but I believe these two lines should do it:
    Code:
    apt-cache search linux-image
    apt-get install linux-image-<version>
    The first will list all available kernels.
    Choose one and use its name in the second line.
    After an succesfull installation, reboot.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Seems to be working just fine, thanks! Although I do wonder why apt-cache search linux-image only showed 2.6.32-* kernels when the dedi-hoster's custom one was at 2.6.38 . Oh well