Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a pc with ASUS P4P800-X (i865 + ICH5) P4 3.0E 4GB DC-DDR333@320 (4x1GB Kingston) Seagate 200GB SATA and I am running Linux (Woody) I have the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux on sata disk and 4gb memory

Hi, I have a pc with
    ASUS P4P800-X (i865 + ICH5)
    P4 3.0E
    4GB DC-DDR333@320 (4x1GB Kingston)
    Seagate 200GB SATA
    and I am running Linux (Woody)

I have the same problem with more than one kernels
    When I have 4GB memory the system is running too slow, but when I have 2GB memory is running fine. I run Knoppix (liveCD) and WinXPPro_SP1 (liveCD) and the system with 4GB memory goes fine.
    I have try kernels 2.6.9 , 2.4.28 , 2.4.26 , 2.4.19 , 2.4.17 but nothing.

I can't understand if the problem is in ich5 or on kernel configuration.

Can anyone help ???

Enable himem support in kernel.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Linux Engineer
    as zdawg said, himem isnt enabled by default and since you have a large Mb Ram capacity, this option is deffinitly required for your system to be optimal :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I have try 4GB and 64GB support in the kernel but the performance is still low.

Linux Engineer
    Since you've try many Kernel the problem probly isn't from this...
    Did you install the latest BIOS of your MB
    did you try contacting ASUS regarding having a full 4Gb ram setup, (i've use old mb in the past sold with 256mb ram support, that never worked over 64mb)

Did you try putting only 3 (one DIMM removed)
    Is there a setting that "auto" calculate the ram... can you set it manually

Those are all "Ipothetic" but are exactly the step I would take to troubleshoot this problem... It could even be (i've seen this before) one of your slot isn't working properly
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I have try Knoppix Live CD and WinXP Pro SP1 LiveCD and WinXP Pro SP1 from HDD and everything was fine with 4GB memory. So I think that kernel is the problem, something with 4GB memory support and SATA support on ICH5.
    I have the latest bios and I have check the memory (4GB) with memtest86+ for over 2 hours.
    I have not send mail to ASUS because I am thinking that the problem isn't in the m/b but at the kernel configuration.