Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I've an embedded board running linux 2.6.36 with a debugger connected to it. There is no serial port or any kind of console attached to it. I'm able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question user space prints/console output

Hi All,

I've an embedded board running linux 2.6.36 with a debugger connected to it. There is no serial port or any kind of console attached to it. I'm able to pull the __log_buf (printk buffer) and see all the kernel prints using debugger.

-------
    -------
    <6>[ 0.002779] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
    <6>[ 0.010145] brd: module loaded
    <6>[ 0.010431] loop: module loaded
    <5>[ 0.010571] RAMDISK: gzip image found at block 0
    <6>[ 0.031735] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly on device 1:0.
    <6>[ 0.031803] Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed

after this nothing prints:

Is there any way that we can pull all the user space prints into a memory or something similar to this? or something like a virtual terminal?

PS: No network card either, to put a telnetserver and get a terminal remotely.

Regards,
    Sumesh.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    At this point, the operating system is directing output to the "console", which you don't have. How are you connecting the debugging system to the board? What kind/model of board do you have? What are you trying to use it for?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks rubberman for the reply,

the debugger is RISCWatch and it is connected to powerpc 440 core thru jtag. the hardware is not in my geo and I use a vnc session to debug stuffs. The functionality is to periodically update a large number of memory mapped FPGA registers. Is there something similar to memconsole or something where I can redirect console o/p to a memory..?

stealth

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth53 View Post

the debugger is RISCWatch and it is connected to powerpc 440 core thru jtag. the hardware is not in my geo and I use a vnc session to debug stuffs. The functionality is to periodically update a large number of memory mapped FPGA registers. Is there something similar to memconsole or something where I can redirect console o/p to a memory..?

stealth
    How much RAM does this board have, and what Linux distribution are you running (kernel version most important)?

Just Joined!
    I dont use any distros, I created my own combination of Linux kernel 3.3.0 -rc2(~1.5MB footprint) + busybox based rootfs(16MB). I've 256Mb of ram which is mapped at 0x5000_0000 -0x6000_0000, and I'm using a relocatable kernel.

Ok. Do you have framebuffer support built into the kernel? If so, then you should be able to use that as an output "device".

Just Joined!

I can enable framebuffer support in kernel. Can you give me some design pointers how to do this stuff..? :P