Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I would like to be able to hotplug individual cores dynamically from the scheduler. I am currently mucking about with the 2.6.35 kernel and i have tracked down the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Access CPU hotplug functionality from scheduler

Hi,

I would like to be able to hotplug individual cores dynamically from the scheduler.

I am currently mucking about with the 2.6.35 kernel and i have tracked down the functin of interest, namely cpu_down() located in cpu.c

Now the problem is that when i try to call the function from inside the scheduler the whole system just freezes. No error messages no nothing.

My computer is a Lenovo thinkpad x201i with a core i3 cpu.
    I have dual boot with win 7 and Ubuntu 10.10.

If anybodey has implemented some cpuhotplug functionality i would be grateful to know the correct way of doing this.

Are you sure, you are looking at the right place?

CPU hotplugging is meant for server machines.
    You physically remove a CPU from the motherboard, while the server is and stays up.
    I cant think of a scenario, in which this can apply to a laptop.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Im working on a University project where the idea it to se if cpu hotplugging could be used as a powersaving mechanism by dynamically turning off/on cores depending on the system load.
    The laptop is only my "workstation" eventually I will try to target other machines. However first i must get the hotplug functionality to work from inside the scheduler or other appropriate place.

Ah ok

I am not a dev, but fwiw this seems to be a start:
    http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cpu-hotplug.txt
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i have read the document a couple of times earlier and can't seem to find the solution to my problem. Of cource this does not mean it's not there, only that i can't see it :P. Iḿ not sure but i think i have some sort of a lock problem, regretably I have not been able to veryfie this much less locate it.