Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm booting a linux system using bootloader uboot which loads kernel and initrd and then starts the kernel, the kernel finally starts initrd. I now want to sent the output ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redirect output from initrd both to console and file

I'm booting a linux system using bootloader uboot which loads kernel and initrd and then starts the kernel, the kernel finally starts initrd. I now want to sent the output from the commands of my /linuxrc both to the serial console (this is working, probably from the "console=/dev/ttyS0" kernel parameters) AND to a file.

I'm quite sure that some simple "exec M>&N" commands within linuxrc are sufficient but does not manage to figure them out. Can somebody provide some help?

Thanks,
    Ruediger

Just Joined!
    Oh, i forgot one additional condition: i want to redirect both stdout and stderr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    I'm booting a linux system using bootloader uboot which loads kernel and initrd and then starts the kernel, the kernel finally starts initrd. I now want to sent the output from the commands of my /linuxrc both to the serial console (this is working, probably from the "console=/dev/ttyS0" kernel parameters) AND to a file.

I'm quite sure that some simple "exec M>&N" commands within linuxrc are sufficient but does not manage to figure them out. Can somebody provide some help?

Thanks,
    Ruediger

Linux Newbie
    Ruediger,

try "command-name &>file" or "command > file-name 2>&1"

Cheers - VP

Just Joined!
    Thanks VP, but this does not meet my requirement, i think.

Debug-output of initrd init-process "linuxrc" should be redirected; this is started from kernel command line defined by uboot via option "init=/linuxrc". So i think i do not have the option to use the redirection commands you suggested.

I think i just require the possibily to redirect stdout and stderr to some file (and still gain the output on my serial console) from within my bash script. Main mechanisms seem to be described at tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html, but i do not manage to build a complete solution.

Ruediger

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    Oh, i forgot one additional condition: i want to redirect both stdout and stderr.
    Well, i think i found a feasible solution for my problem at unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/23497-how-output-results-command-properly.html: redirection of subshell output.

So my script will look as follows to redirect it's output:

(
    some-commands
    ) 2>&1 | tee -a logfile