Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I am trying to configure my kernel to run in User Mode Linux. I want to use the default configuration so I am trying to run "make defconfig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel default configuration

Dear all,

I am trying to configure my kernel to run in User Mode Linux. I want to use the default configuration so I am trying to run "make defconfig ARCH=um", but whenever I do so I get the following message:

Code:
    *** Default configuration is based on 'i386_defconfig'
    #
    # configuration written to .config
    #
    And whenever I try to compile the kernel it simply fails.
    I tried to do "make distclean" and re-try but still I am getting the same problem.

I suspect the matter is in something forcing the configuration to always take default values from the x86 defconfig file but I was not able to find more information on that.

I appreciate any help on this matter.
    Thank you

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by man17 View Post
    Dear all,

I am trying to configure my kernel to run in User Mode Linux. I want to use the default configuration so I am trying to run "make defconfig ARCH=um", but whenever I do so I get the following message:

Code:
    *** Default configuration is based on 'i386_defconfig'
    #
    # configuration written to .config
    #
    And whenever I try to compile the kernel it simply fails.
    I tried to do "make distclean" and re-try but still I am getting the same problem.

I suspect the matter is in something forcing the configuration to always take default values from the x86 defconfig file but I was not able to find more information on that.

I appreciate any help on this matter.
    Thank you
    Run the KERNEL in user mode? I doubt that is possible. Running some drivers in user mode is, and there is support for that, but the kernel itself is NOT user mode code!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!