Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to create a kernel module (v2.6.35) using an interrupt. I played around with the code from the LKMPG, but no interrupt seems to be fired. Code: #include ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Module Interrupt

Hi,

I'm trying to create a kernel module (v2.6.35) using an interrupt. I played around with the code from the LKMPG, but no interrupt seems to be fired.
    Code:
    #include <linux/kernel.h>
    #include <linux/module.h>
    #include <linux/interrupt.h>

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

static irqreturn_t irq_handler(int irq, void *dev_id)
    {
        printk(KERN_INFO "[%d] interrupt\n", irq);

return IRQ_HANDLED;
    }

int init_module()
    {
        printk(KERN_INFO "init module: interrupt\n");

return request_irq(13, irq_handler, 0, "SPI1 interrupt", NULL);
    }

void cleanup_module()
    {
        free_irq(13, NULL);
    }
    Before wondering wheter or not irq with number 13 are even fired, I would like to know if the code shown above is any good. That is when an interrupt occurs the 'irq_handler' function is called.

Thanks in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, how are you triggering the interrupt? In any case, I'm not sure that running a printk statement inside an interrupt handler is a good thing. Normally you would set some variable and then schedule some other module function with the kernel that will check the variable and do what is needed when called, such as I/O.

Finally, what is the source of your learning about Linux kernel module and driver development?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I'm not in control of the triggering. Someone else made some wiring between two boards. I got the code from the LKMPG 2.6 (can't share a link). I removed the part where scheduling was done which i guess was the right thing ;P.

I'm now looking at some code from linux/drivers/spi. Looks like I can learn a lot there.

Just Joined!
    check with /proc/interrupts after inserting your module - does your interrupt updated in the 13th line ? If not there is some problem with the code ?
    If it is present - then there is some problem with hardware it is not triggering interrupt

Just Joined!

insert kprobe

you can also use kprobe whether the interrupt handler is called when the interrupt occurs.