Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am building a kernel dirver for a backlight control. The problem is that the backlight driver expects a PWM signal but it is connected only to a normal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

High precision timer in kernel module

Hello,

I am building a kernel dirver for a backlight control. The problem is that the backlight driver expects a PWM signal but it is connected only to a normal GPIO pin wich has no PWM capability. So I have to write a software PWM driver. Therefore I need a high precision timer with a high resolution and a high precision. The PWM must have a frequency of at least 100Hz and I'd like to have at least 10 steps, means that I need a timer with 1kHz resolution and also precision!
    I tryed with the hrtimer but the PWM is not stable, means I have a jitter in the signal which causes the display to flicker.
    Is there any possibility to get a timer with higher precision? Frequency must be higher than 1kHz but can go up to MHz.

Fabian

Maybe this will help: High Performance Time Measurement in Linux Software ahoy! This uses the HPET circuit in the southbridge chips found in most modern computers since 2005.

Just Joined!
    With "modern computers" you mean X86 PCs? The problem is that I am on an ARM (OMAP 3 compatible).
    Edit: I found out that the GPIO I have to use also supports PWM. The problem is, it seems like there is no PWM (software) driver for OMAP3. So I will have to write my own driver... this may take a while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    An overview of PWM on OMAP3 timers: BeagleBoardPWM - eLinux.org

A PWM driver for OMAP3 produced at the 2010 Google Summer of Code: BeagleBoard/GSoC/2010 Projects/Pulse Width Modulation - eLinux.org

You will have to set up an account with elinux.org before you can access these pages.

Just Joined!
    Thanks I found these links already.
    The Beagleboard suff was helpfull according to the muxing but the OMAP3 PWM driver is crap as far as I can see. It is not a real PWM driver, it will provide some character devices in /dev/pwm0..3. It will not populate the PWM API to other kernel drivers. At the moment I have a workaround by implementing a backlight driver which will directly access the OMAP_DM timers. So I bypassed the PWM driver. It works fine but I don't think this is the way it should be and I will probably write it all again with the PWM driver.
    Thanks so far!

Here is a more recent driver, but you may have the same problem with the PWM API. Also the author says there is a problem with using it with kernel 3.2.

https://github.com/scottellis/omap3-pwm

Just Joined!
    Seems to have the same problem. This driver also does not populate the PWM functions to other drivers.
    Or maybe I don't understand how it works, I am working on Linux drivers just since 3 days

Edit: I think I am right. I need a driver for ARM/OMAP which exports the Kernel symbols pwm_config, pwm_enable, pwm_request, and so on....
    There is a header file which defines all these required symbols (structs and functions) in the kernel source include/linux/pwm.h.
    Both drivers you suggested don't export these functions. Maybe it is possible to adapt them to do that, I will check this later.
    Last edited by FabianS; 07-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.