Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is apparently not a new problem, but I haven't found anything via google over the last two days to resolve the issue. I have a Latitude E6530 with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell Latitude E6530, no HDMI output

This is apparently not a new problem, but I haven't found anything via google over the last two days to resolve the issue.

I have a Latitude E6530 with the latest intel drivers, 3.5.3 kernel, latest mesa, latest X and the HDMI output is not recognized, not detected, not listed, as if its not there.

Here's the video controller listing in lspci

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)

According to intel's web site, the HDMI is supposed to work. My coworker who tried got the same laptop running with Ubuntu couldn't get the hdmi port to work. I'm running Gentoo and thought I'd have better luck, but so far no dice.

I hate to bug the kernel developers so I was hoping one of you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Raydude

Details:
    media-libs/mesa-9_pre20120831-r1:0
    x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4-r2:0
    x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.20.7:0

Hello and Welcome.
    You might have to create your own custom xorg.conf or find an example and build from there. See this link, it may have a few hints you haven't tried yet. What have you tried so far?
    I know it's against everything Linux stands for but have you tried rebooting after making changes to the system? It happens sometimes just like Windows....a reboot can fix stuff and I don't care what anyone says about it.
    Intel GMA - Gentoo Linux Wiki
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the laptop up and running in every other way perfectly. Its running on the laptop display and I even have bumblebee and Optimus working, although its a bit flaky.

The keyboard is acting weird though, I get multiple key presses once in a while.

I'm running KDE and KDE can see the VGA output, but not the HDMI output. It labels the built in display LVDS1 making me think that LVDS0 could be the external display.

I have a known working ViewSonic LCD (that auto detects perfectly with my laptop) connected to the system but KDE doesn't see it and xrandr doesn't see it either:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
    LVDS1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
    1920x1080 60.0*+
    1400x1050 60.0
    1280x1024 60.0
    1280x960 60.0
    1024x768 60.0
    800x600 60.3 56.2
    640x480 59.9
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Thanks again,

Raydude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you tried using the HDMI output on any other OS? Even some LiveCD's might allow you to test the port. I'm thinking if The viewsonic is connected via HDMI...Xrandr doesn't detect it then there might be a problem. Check the BIOS to make sure it's not disabled or something?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Great Ideas. I checked the BIOS and there is nothing it it about activating a secondary display. The system BIOS does not display anything on the second display during boot.

I haven't tried it under windows, I already removed the partition. My coworker is using his laptop under Win 7 and it works with his ViewSonic. I'll probably grab another disk and install windows tomorrow at work if I can't get anywhere today.

I'll try a live CD today to see if its detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydude View Post
    Great Ideas. I checked the BIOS and there is nothing it it about activating a secondary display. The system BIOS does not display anything on the second display during boot.

I haven't tried it under windows, I already removed the partition. My coworker is using his laptop under Win 7 and it works with his ViewSonic. I'll probably grab another disk and install windows tomorrow at work if I can't get anywhere today.

I'll try a live CD today to see if its detected.
    Was hoping more along the lines of finding something HDMI related in the BIOS.

Just Joined!
    There's nothing in the BIOS about HDMI.

I filed a bug at kernel.org, lets see if the devs have time to answer me.

Thanks,

Raydude

Just Joined!
    You were on the right track. In the Video section of the BIOS is an option to disable "NVIDIA Optimus." When I did that, the Nvidia chipset becomes the master and the intel VGA shuts off.

Then, using the nvidia drivers the system works just like any other single video card laptop.

so......thats a good thing? Did it allow the HDMI to work now?

Just Joined!
    Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. By booting with the NVIDIA enabled by default, the nvidia drivers load and because the HDMI port is associated with the NVidia controller, it works. It can't be driven by the intel output which is a flaw in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast