Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi I'm new in kernel ,I think porting means add ,change or remove some cods(lines) and fixing but how do I find out what cods need to be removed or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Porting....

hi I'm new in kernel ,I think porting means add ,change or remove some cods(lines) and fixing but how do I find out what cods need to be removed or added to get kgsl(for example) backPorted...

could you give me some advice about porting?

Just Joined!
    Have a look here: type in (http : and //) with out spaces and brackets in front of the link to make the link active.

kernelnewbies.org/KernelHacking
    It might just give you a few answers.

Just Joined!
    Hey hi,
    I am also new to kernel porting. But I figured out some concepts about it. Actually kernel porting means, making your kernel ready to the target platform(hardware) and then then installing it on target platform. We do this by cross compilation.
    If you want to port the kernel on same working platform, then there is good tutorial on :

haifux.org/lectures/88-sil/kernel-compilation.html

Let me know about your experience !

Just Joined!
    Which processor are you using?
    For ARM, just google "Linux porting for ARM" and you will get many good documents. refer them, rest you can read through kernel/Documentation for further information.

Just Joined!
    thank you guys. actually nobody exact understood me...let me clear myself for you...for example I wanna port kgsl( graphic drivers) from .32 to .29 for my androidphone...so here is the deal: how do I know I wont break my HW...does some resources need for this purpose?....where to begin?