Find the answer to your Linux question:
0 down vote favorite I've made a custom linux kernel for Ubuntu Lucid and a live ISO to be able to distribute it. But I don't want to include the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    RRJ
    Just Joined!

how to create /usr/src/linux-headers-$KVERS from /usr/src/linux build

0 down vote favorite

I've made a custom linux kernel for Ubuntu Lucid and a live ISO to be able to distribute it.

But I don't want to include the full Linux sources in the distribution, just the headers so that it will be possible to install and update kernel packages such as VirtualBox guest additions.

Is there a way to automatically create the headers from the source tree?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRJ View Post
    0 down vote favorite

I've made a custom linux kernel for Ubuntu Lucid and a live ISO to be able to distribute it.

But I don't want to include the full Linux sources in the distribution, just the headers so that it will be possible to install and update kernel packages such as VirtualBox guest additions.

Is there a way to automatically create the headers from the source tree?
    Other than proprietary drivers, the Linux kernel is GPLv3 - you CANNOT not make the source code of your changes available! You don't have to ship it with the kernel binaries, but you MUST provide access to it on demand! Otherwise, you are in violation of the kernel copyrights... Only do that if you have a REALLY good attorney, and a gazillion $$ to pay them to defend you in court from the Linux Foundation, and a lot of other really PissedOff Linux mavens (like me and my company).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Exactly right. According to the GPL, you are allowed to make changes to the source code, and then freely distribute it. But you are required to give access to the unaltered source, and any changes to it that are made.

To do otherwise would be a violation of the copyleft agreement.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

RRJ
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Other than proprietary drivers, the Linux kernel is GPLv3 - you CANNOT not make the source code of your changes available! You don't have to ship it with the kernel binaries, but you MUST provide access to it on demand! Otherwise, you are in violation of the kernel copyrights... Only do that if you have a REALLY good attorney, and a gazillion $$ to pay them to defend you in court from the Linux Foundation, and a lot of other really PissedOff Linux mavens (like me and my company).
    My build is all open source - 2.6.32.11 kernel, RTAI patches, AUFS patches,Remastersys. Distribution is internal to our organisation. The full source tree is over 4GB, I just want to reduce the ISO size by including just the headers, not the full tree. Problem is that 2.6.32.11 headers are no longer available to download.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification about the target distribution. Just go to BUILD/version/ where version is the kernel such as 2.6.32.11-nnn.nn.n.el6, and copy the include directory tree into the image tree that you are going to build into your ISO.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!