Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have a booting problem. I compile kernel 2.4.22 and no problem had seen while compiling. but when I try to boot. it gives this errror unable to open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel panic: no init found

Hi. I have a booting problem. I compile kernel 2.4.22 and no problem had seen
    while compiling. but when I try to boot. it gives this errror
    unable to open an initial console
    Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

help me plaeaseee.

----------------
    My OS is Fedora Core 1
    ----------------

Linux Guru
    Boot the computer. When the GRUB splashscreen comes up, press the down arrow to stop the count-down clock before GRUB boots the default OS. Read everything on the screen, select the kernel you want to boot and then press e to edit that script. This is what my Fedora Core 1 looks like:
    Code:
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hda8 rhgb
    initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    I don't know if the file names "vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl" and "initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img" will exactly match yours, but your GRUB must point to valid file names. You can edit them in the GRUB editing screen, using tab completion to get the exact name right. (Read the instructions on the screen) Changes made in the GRUB editor will not be permanent. Once you get your system booted, you will need to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf to make it work automatically.

Does this help, at all?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    thanks but my problem was booting with new kernel, taht is I installed a new kernel and I can not boot with it. I can boot with my default kernel. I solve my problem by installing without a boot partition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Still witrh problems..kernel panic

Hi I would appreciate a lot your help, I have 1TB server stopped by this cause, when the server boots it always stop with "kernel panic : no init found : try passing init=option to kernel"

I enterred into the grub command line and with tab i choose the file i want the OS to load but always gives me the same message error. any other idea of what could be the solution.

thanks an advance.

Just Joined!

Still witrh problems..kernel panic

Hi I would appreciate a lot your help, I have 1TB server stopped by this cause, when the server boots it always stop with "kernel panic : no init found : try passing init=option to kernel"

I enterred into the grub command line and with tab i choose the file i want the OS to load but always gives me the same message error. any other idea of what could be the solution.

thanks an advance.

Linux Guru

Re: Still witrh problems..kernel panic

Quote Originally Posted by jmlgonzalez
    I enterred into the grub command line and with tab i choose the file i want the OS to load but always gives me the same message error.
    Hoping that the reason the preceding did not help is that it was not adequately detailed, let me try again:

1. Boot computer. As soon as Grub splash screen comes up, hit up or down arrow key to stop the clock.
    2. Press "c" to get the Grub command line like this: grub>
    3. Type:
    Code:
    root &#40;<tab>
    where <tab> is the 'tab' key. You should get a list of valid drives. If Grub does not list the drive or partition where you think your /boot directory or partition is, either assume Grub knows better or check your hardware.
    4. Press the next character corresponding to the drive OR partition where your /boot directory is and then press <tab>
    5. Repeat step 4 until you have completed the line so it looks like
    Code:
    root &#40;hdx,y&#41;
    where x and y are correct drive (x) and partition (y) where your /boot directory is. You should know already that Grub counts drives and partitions starting with zero for the first primary partition and 4 for the first extended partition.
    6. If you do not have a separate /boot partition, type:
    Code:
    kernel  /boot/vmlin<tab>
    If you do have a separate /boot partition, do not enter the /boot and instead, just
    Code:
    kernel /vmlin<tab>
    In either case, when you hit <tab>, Grub will complete the filename, or list possible files ONLY if you have correctly entered all other information. If Grub says something like "no files found", go back and correct your error.
    7. Repeat step 6 until you have a complete filename but do not press enter yet.
    8. Following the kernel filename, on the same line, add ro so the filesystems will be initially mounted read only so that integrity checks may be made without adding corruption, and add information telling Grub where your top level root partition is: / so that the line looks something like this:
    Code:
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hda8
    where, instead of "hda8" you have the correct drive and partition where your / partition is. If you make a mistake here, Grub will not complain. Instead, you will get the message saying there was no init found.
    8a. If you want to boot in single user mode, without a graphic display, you should add the word single to the end of the line. When the line is complete, press enter.
    9. If you do not have a separate /boot partition, type:
    Code:
    initrd  /boot/initrd<tab>
    If you do have a separate /boot partition, do not enter the /boot and instead, just
    Code:
    initrd /initrd<tab>
    In either case, when you hit <tab>, Grub will complete the filename, or list possible files ONLY if you have correctly entered all other information. If Grub says something like "no files found", go back and correct your error.
    10. Repeat step 9 until you have a complete filename.
    11. Press "enter".
    12. Finally, if the system doesn't boot automatically, type: boot and press enter.

If the system doesn't boot completely, please say what messages were seen. Some OSs require additional parameters to be entered on the "kernel" line. If you can boot into your system and find the grub.conf or menu.lst that was created during the system install (if necessary, by using a "live CD"), you should see the additional required parameters. Take careful notes so that you will be able to edit your grub.conf or menu.lst with the correct information. If I have overlooked anything or mis-spoken above, please let me know.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    The most frequent issue i had in the past ) ok the problem occures when you compile something or in my cases do nothing ) the problem is the following:
    in /etc/lilo.conf somehow the / partition is changed to /dev/hdXX and is not the root partition, exp> /dev/hda1 > changed /dev/hda5 so this means you are not booting the root partiotion but someone else.
    All I did was go into rescue mode and changed in /etc/lilo.conf or grub.conf,
    /dev/hda1 > my root partiotion
    but I dont know how and in my fstab my root partition was chaged also, so you can see if there any changes there also and correct them corresponding to your /dev/hdXX

Regards Zoran.