Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wasted a lot of time this week chasing what I thought was a bug in my driver, but turned out to be something entirely different. I'm writing a char ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Open() without driver

I wasted a lot of time this week chasing what I thought was a bug in my driver, but turned out to be something entirely different. I'm writing a char class PCIE driver and in the interest of hurrying up, I didn't integrate the driver with udev, choosing instead to just mknod the /dev file as needed. I printk the major minor number and use that info as arguments to mknod. For 2 weeks, the kernel was giving me major 252 and minor 0 and I typed it so much I aliased the mknod rmmod and insmod commands. Then, after some changes, it started giving me 251, 0. Something I didn't notice. So now my command is making the wrong dev file.

The interesting thing is that my test program always succeded on open(), but everything else I tried, my ioctls and read, all returned -1. That is to be expected. What I don't understand is why the open succeed (and that's what made me spend a bunch of time chasing a non-existent bug in my driver).

So what is the correct behaviour for this? Should open succeed and return a valid file handle for a dev file that has no driver associated with it?

I'm way past this now, but the behaviour bugs me and wondering what other people think should happen.

Robert

Just Joined!
    This is freaky because I can't reproduce it. Grrrrrrrrr! I wrote a dumb little opentest program:

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
    {
    int fd;
    if ( argc > 1 ) {
    fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
    if ( fd > 0 ) {
    printf("opened ok %d\n", fd);
    close(fd);
    } else {
    printf("open failed\n");
    }
    }
    }

I must conclude there was some driver at c,252,0, but I have no idea what it was (nor can I think how to find it next time).

Robert