Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, There is a module lets say "module.ko" which is working (load/unload) perfectly as expected. It came bundled with the OS in binary format but iIn the src folder, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling A Kernel Module

Hi all,

There is a module lets say "module.ko" which is working (load/unload) perfectly as expected. It came bundled with the OS in binary format but iIn the src folder, corresponding module.c file exists and I need to make some changes on the source file and recompile the module then load it again. I just need to compile this specific module without touching other modules. It's a video driver and I don't have the makefile in my hand.

How can I achieve what I want, any guidance ?

Quote Originally Posted by t35t View Post
    Hi all,

There is a module lets say "module.ko" which is working (load/unload) perfectly as expected. It came bundled with the OS in binary format but iIn the src folder, corresponding module.c file exists and I need to make some changes on the source file and recompile the module then load it again. I just need to compile this specific module without touching other modules. It's a video driver and I don't have the makefile in my hand.

How can I achieve what I want, any guidance ?
    Sounds like a lot of trouble. Perhaps if you explain what you are doing or wanting, you might get a better/easier suggestion from one of our awesome members.
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that if you have downloaded the sourcecode then there should also be a makefile or at least some instructions in a file called README or INSTALL in the proper directory.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I am trying to implement a modified version of gspca_ov534 in Slackware64 14.0. There is a makefile but for another kernel and distro ;

kaswy.free.fr/sites/default/files/download/ps3eye/0.5/gspca-ps3eyeMT-0.5.tar.gz

this is the version I need but makefile is for Ubuntu and 2.6 kernel.

Any ideas for a workaround ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by t35t View Post
    I am trying to implement a modified version of gspca_ov534 in Slackware64 14.0. There is a makefile but for another kernel and distro ;

kaswy.free.fr/sites/default/files/download/ps3eye/0.5/gspca-ps3eyeMT-0.5.tar.gz

this is the version I need but makefile is for Ubuntu and 2.6 kernel.

Any ideas for a workaround ?
    Is the source converted to work with your kernel version? The differences between 2.6 and 3.x kernels is VERY significant. The Makefile is likely the least of your worries.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!