Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear developers, I wanted to understand how does an operating system work, so I downloaded the latest kernel source from the website. The problem is, I can only understand that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Kernel

Dear developers,
    I wanted to understand how does an operating system work, so I downloaded the latest kernel source from the website.
    The problem is, I can only understand that it is a programming language, but I really wanted to know how do all these code lines actually become what we see in our eyes, for example Linux Mint or Ubuntu, how does the kernel become viewable by the users, and how can I edit it so I can perhaps create my own version of Linux? do I need to change something in the kernel , or actually the kernel is the same for all Linuxes, and they use other programs on top of the kernels in order to make it look like what it is.
    For example, now that I have the kernel on my computer, how do I make it look like I want and then make it an executable file so I can actually install it?
    I really want to know all these stuff, is there a way to learn it on the internet or all of the experts and developers learn these stuff at school?

Thanks

Hello and Welcome!

I moved your thread to the Kernel Section of the forum so that you'll get more visibility for your topic.
    Your question could be answered in a couple of ways.
    First, have you ever compiled/installed a kernel? If not, try that first. Here is a fairly straight-forward guide: How to Compile the Linux Kernel: Step-by-Step Instructions
    Second, are you looking to actually edit the source code of the kernel itself? If so, that's beyond my experience. But I believe that before you get into any kernel hacking, you'll want to really hone up your skills in C. That's the programming language used to write the kernel. There are a great many books and online tutorials available to get you started on this.

Hope that helps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by icuany
    The problem is, I can only understand that it is a programming language, but I really wanted to know how do all these code lines actually become what we see in our eyes, for example Linux Mint or Ubuntu, how does the kernel become viewable by the users, and how can I edit it so I can perhaps create my own version of Linux? do I need to change something in the kernel , or actually the kernel is the same for all Linuxes, and they use other programs on top of the kernels in order to make it look like what it is.
    Kernel and Graphical Interface ( whatever you view on your Desktop ) are two different things. Ubuntu, Mint and all other Linux distros are not just kernels. First of all, I would suggest you to check wiki pages on Graphical Interface and Kernel.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

You may also want to take a look at Kernel Newbies. There may be some documentation there to get you going, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.