Find the answer to your Linux question:
Don't know if this is a video issue or a boot issue. Have built a Linux Kernel for a custom BSP based on the Freescale i.MX6 ARM processor. The kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Video Issues with Linux Kernel Build???

Don't know if this is a video issue or a boot issue.

Have built a Linux Kernel for a custom BSP based on the Freescale i.MX6 ARM processor. The kernel works fine and boots to a log-in prompt as long as I use a serial console.

I would now like to use the local video source and am having problems. I have removed the console log-in argument, and the console is properly disabled and the dmesg output is redirected to my local monitor. Everything appears fine including the video being displayed where I want it.

Problem is the boot process does not complete. I never get to the log-in prompt. Is there something worng when pid is being started?

The video output to the local video stops as shown here:

Mounting filesystems
    cp: write error: No space left on device
    mount: mounting usbfs on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory

NON-CONSOLE BOOT SOPS HERE - BELOW ONLY DISPLAYS WITH CONSOLE

starting pid 2438, tty '': '/etc/rc.d/rc_gpu.S'
    starting pid 2444, tty '': '/etc/rc.d/rc_mxc.S'

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Freescale MAD -- Linaro 2011.07 -- Built at 2011/08/
    10 09:20) 4.6.2 20110630 (prerelease)
    root filesystem built on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:24:04 -0800
    Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

freescale login:

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

Are you starting up a login program and attaching it to a tty? Using your serial port login, log in and do some trouble-shooting. Look for your system startup files, it is often call rcS in embedded Linux systems. Probably in /etc/rc.d/ is where you should start. You'll be looking in these scripts for a call to a program like "mingetty". It needs to be listening on a virtual terminal, like tty1. If nothing is found, you need to add a line calling one in your rc start-up script. There should be instructions or examples on how to do that with the Linux distribution that you installed.

For example, on my old RHEL 4 box, I have this in my /etc/inittab:
    Code:
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
    The line you need will surely be different, though.

Side note: you appear to be out of disk space. Log in via your serial console and do a "df". Start removing stuff that you don't need (start with files in /tmp).