Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am using Fedora 17 on an Asus M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard, with AMD Phenom 9600 Quad and 4 GB RAM I have posted this on the Fedora Forum - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 17 freezing apparently caused by kernel.

Hi

I am using Fedora 17 on an Asus M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard, with AMD Phenom 9600 Quad and 4 GB RAM

I have posted this on the Fedora Forum - lots of people read it but nobody suggested an answer.

After a kernel upgrade a while back I started experiencing frequent freezing of a fully updated F17 installation, giving unreadable screens and a totally unresponsive keyboard. The freezing occurred at any time between startup and sAhutdown, but most frequently when opening a URL from a link in an email. This is an image of a frozen screen:

Frozen.jpg

Unfortunately I have not kept a log of the different kernels I have used, but the freezing occurred with kernel-3.7.4 and 3.7.6-102 - and probably with others

The only recourse is to reset the PC or power-cycle.

Inspection of the logs yields nothing useful and memory tests return no errors.

Eventually I downgraded to kernel 3.3.4-5 and the problem vanished. However I would like to use a newer kernel and would like to understand what caused the freezing.

My wife uses F17, fully updated, on a two-core Intel machine and has not seen any problems.

Comments gratefully received.
    Last edited by JGSheppard; 02-21-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Linux Engineer
    Most likely a video driver issue.

Fedora 17 nVidia Drivers Install Guide (disable nouveau driver)

After kernel upgrade, video drivers may need to be reinstalled.