Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a couple of questions about the Linux Kernel. 1) After compiling the Linux Kernel is it possible to install it on a PC, and that PC doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux Kernel Installation on a PC without an existing operating system

Hello, I have a couple of questions about the Linux Kernel.

1) After compiling the Linux Kernel is it possible to install it on a PC, and that PC doesn't have a operating system installed on it?

2) If question number one is possible, could I also compile with it a desktop shell of my choice, for example the LXDE desktop shell?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud899 View Post
    Hello, I have a couple of questions about the Linux Kernel.

1) After compiling the Linux Kernel is it possible to install it on a PC, and that PC doesn't have a operating system installed on it?
    Yes, and no. You can always place it there, install a bootloader and boot it... however, once you get to the stage where init takes over, you need _something_ there. One approach is to add busybox and use that in a ramdisk you use, but you'll end up with a _very_ restricted system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud899 View Post
    2) If question number one is possible, could I also compile with it a desktop shell of my choice, for example the LXDE desktop shell?
    Then you'd need to compile all the libraries those use, then all those that those use etc..

What's wrong with just installing a distro? Making your own OS (or distro) is a _lot_ of work. Personally, I favour Debian. I suggest you start off by finding yourself a ready distro and then build yourself a kernel and install that kernel into the existing system.

Just my $0.02

Just Joined!
    Hello, I already use a Linux distribution, I am using the Ubuntu Linux Distribution. I just want to go to the next level building my own operating system with the Linux Kernel. Thank you for the reply