Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi If i have a working image on my raspberry and i want to chage the kernel (i made a new kernel with preempt rt patch) how can i install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

building rootfs

Hi

If i have a working image on my raspberry and i want to chage the kernel (i made a new kernel with preempt rt patch) how can i install the new kernel ?? if i can't..then how to build a rootfs for it.

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

are you using a specific distribution of Raspberry Linux? There are several out there, I know. Hopefully there are instructions put out by those distros on how to update the kernel, most importantly: how to update the boot loader. But as to installing the kernel itself, it is usually as easy as putting the files in the right place (which usually means kernel image files in /boot and kernel modules in /lib/modules/<kernel_ver>) and updating the bootloader config file. sometimes depmod needs to be run to generate kernel dependency files, sometimes an initrd (initial ramdisk image) needs to be generated, and sometimes bootloader-specific commands need to be run. again, it all depends on your specific distro.