Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I compiled the latest 3.9 kernel from kernel.org for my Lenovo T400 running Debian Wheezy. I based my config on Debian Wheezys stock 3.2 Kernel (config-3.2.0-4-686-pae) and just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question 3.9: Shutdown hangs when nfs share is mounted

Hi everyone,

I compiled the latest 3.9 kernel from kernel.org for my Lenovo T400 running Debian Wheezy. I based my config on Debian Wheezys stock 3.2 Kernel (config-3.2.0-4-686-pae) and just disabled IPv6 completely.
    My problem is: 3.9 makes reboot / shutdown freeze. I tracked the problem down to this:
    If there are nfs-mounts active, freeze occures.
    If I unmount all nfs mounts and then reboot / shutdown, there are no issues.

Various thread across the internet promote changing the rc0.d and rc6.d sequence (unmount_nfs earlier).
    I think that's just a workaround, as earlier kernels (3.2 and 2.6) shutdown and reboot just fine, no matter what.

I think this might be due to the kernel configuration. Of course it might also be a kernel bug, but a wrong config is most probable.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?
    Thank you in advance

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome!

if you believe it to be a kernel config issue, how about diffing the two configs and looking for nfs-related discrepancies?