Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a knowledge of Intel X86 Assembly and C languages and I always wanted to contribute to Linux kernel, but it always had been a mistery for me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Contributing to linux kernel

Hello,

I have a knowledge of Intel X86 Assembly and C languages and I always wanted to contribute to Linux kernel, but it always had been a mistery for me. As a beginner contributor, I still don't understand which bugs should I take, how do I fix em? It's like, you take the bug, but... where the heck do you start fixing it? How do you find the core of the problem? I see many people telling that the best start is to start fixing bugs you have, but atm I don't have any problems with linux kernel.

By the way, I've found kernelnewbies.org and I thought it will be a great starting point, but kernel janitors project is dead and not even working. Then I joined the kernel's mailing list and so on, but it's not much of a help.

So, could anyone point me to the right direction? Maybe share your experience, how did you start, what do you do when you start fixing bugs etc?

It is one of the pinnacles of Geek Achievement: getting some of _your_ code into the Linux kernel. You should start by joining the Linux Kernel Mailing List. Have a look at some of the bugs, try to reproduce them, then propose a fix. The only think you need to be aware of really is that the people who write the Linux kernel are _very clever people_ so don't be disheartened if they don't accept your contributions immediately.

There is the Linux Kernel Mailing List FAQ which may help you understand what you're starting to get involved with.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    @Roxoff, I don't want to be rude or something, but it seems that you haven't read what I wrote, maybe the topic only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by arnas View Post
    @Roxoff, I don't want to be rude or something, but it seems that you haven't read what I wrote, maybe the topic only.
    With the greatest of respect... I did. You said you didn't know where to start as everyone is telling you to start by fixing bugs, and you didn't know how to get there as you don't suffer any of the bugs. And you asked to be pointed in the right direction. My reply was to take a look at the bugs and try to reproduce them. As a software engineer it's easy to say 'it works fine for me', what you really want is to be able to recreate someone else's software failure - if you can make the bug happen to order, you've actually got a shout at fixing it.

If you want to contribute to the Linux kernel then you need to demonstrate your ability to both fix problems and write new stuff to the existing kernel team. You'll learn a lot by doing this too.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/