Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have configured Linux 2.6.30 for USB Host, and my /dev directory have /dev/sda /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 as part of my filesystem. When I connect pendrive for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Host Configuration in kernel

Hi All,

I have configured Linux 2.6.30 for USB Host, and my /dev directory have /dev/sda /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 as part of my filesystem.

When I connect pendrive for the first time, kernel says its there on sda:sda1. I can mount it on XYZ directory.

Now if i remove pendrive without applying un mounting it next time kernel says me usb is mounted on sdb:sdb1
    but there is no /dev node created like /dev/sdb /dev/sdb1 etc.

My question is, It it responsibility of kernel to make this nodes?

Or I have left some option while configuring kernel ??

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

it is usually the job of the udev daemon to detect hotplug events and create kernel devices for you. It could be that things work with sda b/c that block device was already created and you have no udev process controlling it, and no sdb device has ever been created.

At least it is udev on the (RedHat/Fedora/CentOS) systems that I normally use. What is your distro and version?
    Last edited by atreyu; 08-06-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

Just Joined!
    Hi!! Thanx!!

I am actually working on at91sam9g45 based Evaluation Board.
    In which my platform will serve as USB host and not for USB device.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elementm View Post
    I am actually working on at91sam9g45 based Evaluation Board.
    In which my platform will serve as USB host and not for USB device.
    i see, so your eval board can be plugged into a PC or something, and that PC should see the eval board as USB storage, or something like that? in that case, you don't need sda/sdb, etc. you only need those when you are booting into the eval board as a stand-alone Linux system, right? In that case, do you have udev installed on that system?

Just Joined!
    No No .. My Eval board has usb port which I needed to configure as usb host.
    When I plug usb on my eval board, there is no /dev/sd* entry but in dmesg kernel says your device is there on sda:sda1 etc.

Than You for your help and suggestions.

I have cross compiled udev-144 and ran on my eval board and now its making /dev/sd* entries..
    I have simply copied 50rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and ran ran udevd and problem resolved.

Thank You.

Trusted Penguin
    great, glad its sorted. i'll mark this as Solved for you. Note that you can do this yourself using the Thread Tools link at the top of the page.