Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, we have linux based IP phone, we have kernel version of: 2.6.27.18, using NAND flash JFFS2 file system we found a problem regarding deleting files: Testing include following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NAND JFFS2 deleted file reappeared after second reboot

Hi All,

we have linux based IP phone, we have kernel version of:
    2.6.27.18, using NAND flash JFFS2 file system
    we found a problem regarding deleting files:

Testing include following steps:
    Have installed application on the phone(e.g. app v.1).
    Reboot the phone
    Upgrade application(e.g. from v.1 to v.2)
    Upgrade means that we should replace app v.1 with app v.2 on the phone(app v.1 should be deleted after that. Note. phone can have only one app ).
    Reboot the phone.
    Changes through phone menu was made.
    Reboot the phone.
    After that we observed app v.1 and app v.2 on the phone.
    Size of app v.1 was null.

My question is:
    How can app v.1 that was removed (rm -rf) reappeared after second reboot?

Any one can help?

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you read/write/delete files, the operations are cached. Although rebooting via normal means should cause the file system to be synced, this may not be the case in your situation. So, after deleting the files, and before rebooting, explicitly run the command "sync" to force all disc I/O to be written to disc. Then see what happens when you reboot after that. In any case, wait until the sync command completes and you get a user prompt back before you reboot.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thanks Rubberman for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    When you read/write/delete files, the operations are cached. Although rebooting via normal means should cause the file system to be synced, this may not be the case in your situation. So, after deleting the files, and before rebooting, explicitly run the command "sync" to force all disc I/O to be written to disc. Then see what happens when you reboot after that. In any case, wait until the sync command completes and you get a user prompt back before you reboot.
    Thanks Rubberman for the reply, we will try your suggestion and see how it works.