Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, A newbie to this forum here. I'm trying to set up a UEFI based Linux From Scratch system, and I'm apparently among the first attempting to do this. One ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Set CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n in "make menuconfig"

Hi,

A newbie to this forum here.

I'm trying to set up a UEFI based Linux From Scratch system, and I'm apparently among the first attempting to do this.

One thing I've found, through various forums such as Arch Linux, is that to make this work, when compiling the Linux kernel you have to set the variable CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n . After fooling around with "make menuconfig" for awhile, I've found that you can sort of do this by the following:

In the "make menuconfig" window, go to:

Firmware Drivers ---> EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support --->
    < > EFI Variable Support via sysfs

If you keep the < > thing unchecked, the resulting .config contains the line:

# CONFIG_EFI_VARS is not set

If, however, you select "y" so that the box is checked <*>, your .config will contain the line:

CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y

I see no way, via make menuconfig, to get the required line:

CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n

Question: Is having the line in the .config file "# CONFIG_EFI_VARS is not set" equivalent to having the line "CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n"?

Can anyone explain why or why not? Or if there is any way to set "CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n" aside from hand-editing the .config file?

Thanks for any help.
    Alan

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, Alan!

according to the documentation, if a feature is not to be enabled, then the relevant line in the .config file is commented out. There is no mention of using the convention VARIABLE=n. I just looked in my kernel config files and found no instance of *=n.

i think you are safe w/the line being commented out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    hello and welcome, Alan!

according to the ..., if a feature is not to be enabled, then the relevant line in the .config file is commented out. There is no mention of using the convention VARIABLE=n. I just looked in my kernel config files and found no instance of *=n.

i think you are safe w/the line being commented out.
    Thank you!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close