Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using fedora 18...I saw the kernel source code for traceroute for IPv6. is it possible to copy this code in a separate directory and run separately from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

running kernel code for trace-routing seperately

Hi,
    I am using fedora 18...I saw the kernel source code for traceroute for IPv6. is it possible to copy this code in a separate directory and run separately from the terminal. can anyone pls give me a brief suggestion of what are the things that i have to do..

rash

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, rabbirashid!

have you tried to install the traceroute package, which contains a userland tool that you can execute in the terminal?

in a terminal, do this as root:

Code:
    yum install traceroute
    once it installs, you can then run a traceroute in your terminal, i.e.:

Code:
    traceroute www.google.com
    to get an idea of program usage syntax, you can do:

Code:
    traceroute --help
    to read the documentation, you can do:

Code:
    man traceroute

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    thank you very much for your answer...But actually I want to know if I can run the source code for trace route separately...I want to run the traceroute.c file separately after copying it from kernel...I know there are a lot of header files and other dependencies....But it would be really helpful even if I get a brief scratch idea about doing this...

thanks again...
    rabbi

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbirashid View Post
    I want to run the traceroute.c file separately after copying it from kernel...I know there are a lot of header files and other dependencies
    in the Linux kernel? i don't see it in the source - do you have a link to the location of this file?