Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm developing hardware and have a software simulation for the hardware. To test this software simulation "in situ", I'm wondering if there is a known method to create a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Virtual/Soft PCI Device

Hello,

I'm developing hardware and have a software simulation for the hardware. To test this software simulation "in situ", I'm wondering if there is a known method to create a bit of software which "shows up" as a PCI device so that a device driver can then discover, connect to, and communicate with it as if it's a real PCI device. Thanks for any information,

Aaron

Just Joined!
    You can get started by using a network card. It will be good enough for basic testing such as driver loading, resource mapping, enabling interrupts etc.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ianbb01 View Post
    You can get started by using a network card. It will be good enough for basic testing such as driver loading, resource mapping, enabling interrupts etc.
    Well, I don't mean I want a skeleton driver for testing. I have a driver that I'm already well along with developing. What I want is to create a fake PCI device in which I implement the behavior in pure software, but which shows up in and communicates with Linux in the standard way that all real PCI devices show up, so that I don't need real hardware to develop my driver.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeleo View Post
    Well, I don't mean I want a skeleton driver for testing. I have a driver that I'm already well along with developing. What I want is to create a fake PCI device in which I implement the behavior in pure software, but which shows up in and communicates with Linux in the standard way that all real PCI devices show up, so that I don't need real hardware to develop my driver.
    What kind of behavior do you need to simulate?
    Last edited by ianbb01; 02-13-2014 at 06:27 AM.