Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to know the names of tool (if any) or any method that can help me to visualize the changes made to Kernel source code and debug it like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debugging the Linux Kernel source code

I want to know the names of tool (if any) or any method that can help me to visualize the changes made to Kernel source code and debug it like any C or Java program.

Thank you

Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    Link is good. it give me lot of knowledge of kernal source code.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Error in serial communication for two computers using null modem cable

I followed the link suggested by @gregm. Please help me for communicating two computers using null modem cable. I tried to edit the grub.conf but still the error persists. The target system says "kgdb: Waiting for connection grom remote gdb". I searched on net and followed SploitF-U-N: Linux Kernel Debugging using KGDB/GDB. Still errors persist. Please help for how to communicate two computers using null modem cable.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Thank You.

Just Joined!
    This is a tough situation really, source code is always tricky.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fauny View Post
    I followed the link suggested by @gregm. Please help me for communicating two computers using null modem cable. I tried to edit the grub.conf but still the error persists. The target system says "kgdb: Waiting for connection grom remote gdb". I searched on net and followed SploitF-U-N: Linux Kernel Debugging using KGDB/GDB. Still errors persist. Please help for how to communicate two computers using null modem cable.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Perhaps this will help: How To Check and Use Serial Ports Under Linux

Just Joined!
    I tried the link to check serial connection using minicom, agetty and screen. It ran partly on both the host and remote but i m not clear whether they communicate or not. The link for setup having screenshots will be helpful.

However, when following wessel's link:
    The target system shows "kgdb: waiting for connection from remote gdb" after booting

The local machine terminal: i did
    #gdb vmlinux
    (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
    (gdb) set debug remote 1
    (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0

Nothing happens on either machines.

Linux Guru
    If you're not sure your terminal is connected then you are getting ahead of yourself trying to connect the debugger. Text-Terminal-HOWTO

Just Joined!
    Thanks @gregm for your instant help. Well, today i confirmed the serial communication between two systems using minicom and screen by sending a file. Now, the problem is:

I am using CentOS 6.4 and Linux 3.12. The Kernel debugging explained by Weessel requires three drivers. One of them is kgdb i/o driver which is not present in my system. I just want to know now can the method be used for Linux 3.12 or i can ignore kgdb i/o driver and use some other.

Linux Guru
    You either use kgdb or kdb to debug the kernel but the kernel has to be compiled with it built into it. Download the sources - there is likely a CentOS kernel source package - and follow these instructions: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker.../jwessel/kgdb/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast