Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have bought this Toshiba M50DA103 in the aim of eventually removing the pre-installed Windows 8 and install my flavour of Linux on it instead. However, there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Brightness hotkey suspends system instead..

Hello all,

I have bought this Toshiba M50DA103 in the aim of eventually removing the pre-installed Windows 8 and install my flavour of Linux on it instead. However, there is an annoying problem with the function keys, a problem that appeared after I installed Ubuntu Linux. The function keys seem all messed up (the key that is supposed to increase the brightness suspends the computer instead, and so on.)

I first thought it might be a problem with Ubuntu only, but then I tried to boot Fedora, and the problem is still the same. With that being said, it could either be a kernel issue, or a hardware compatibility issue.

It tried to post this very same message on the Toshiba support forums (I could not post the URL to it, due to this forum's URL regulations), and a guy there responded by pointing to the possibility that it could be a kernel-related issue.

With that being said, I tought I could post my problem here in hope of finding some ideas on how to overcome it, or perhaps attract attention to it so that maybe kernel developers can find a solution for it.

Thank you very much.

You shuld always be able to remap the keys to do what you want, but it will take a bit of research.
    A quick google of "Ubuntu keys remap" turned up some interesting links:
    Using XBindKeys on Ubuntu Linux to Remap Key Commands | ButlerPC Blog
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...%20definitions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaKeys
    ubuntu - Remap Keys in Linux - Super User

By the looks of things, you should find some good avenues in there.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I am interested if you found a solution for the function key problem and how you are satisfied with using linux together with this notebook since I would like to buy excactly the same model. Does all the "basic" functions like wireless LAN, display and sound are woking well?

Kind regards,
    no6una9a