Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to write an I/O Scheduler for Linux kernel. I have already compiled the whole kernel before without any modification to the kernel source code. I have reached ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to compile only one file of kernel source code instead of compilin

I am going to write an I/O Scheduler for Linux kernel. I have already compiled the whole kernel before without any modification to the kernel source code. I have reached at noop-iosched.c file under /linux/block folder. Now firstly I am trying to modify noop-iosched.c file to test and play with it to just get familiarize with linux kernel source code. I have just added a following printk(KERN_INFO "Hello World....!!!!"); instruction in this file. Now I only want to compile noop-ioshed.c file instead of compiling the whole kernel source code (which takes around 2 hours to compile) so that I can see whether it's working or not at my side. So could you please guide me how to only compile noop-iosched.c file instead of whole kernel to see my change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot, Ricky Ben

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The associated Makefile(s) should know what components have changed, and only require building/re-linking those, provided you have not cleaned the build tree (make clean). Alternatively, you can cd into the appropriate source directory and only make that one, assuming it is a loadable, and not built-in, module.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

make checks timestamps and only compiles changed files. So you can run the touch tool to change the timestamp on the file you want to compile and then run make.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close